It feels like ages ago when I last published something here. It’s been a crazy past two weeks, with a family medical emergency that necessitated a trip back to IL. Christmas just flew by without even sitting down briefly to have coffee (tea or hot cocoa) with me. *sigh*
Well, we are home now and trying to calm things down and slowly and sanely welcome 2013. The past year was rough, with treasured friends and family going through serious illnesses, as well as news of relationships going through major challenges. Should I even mention holding my breath a little (just a little) for that dreaded 12/21/12 date? (Truth be told, a part of me actually wished for a worldwide ‘reboot’, but let’s save my pessimism for some other time, shall we?)…
On a more positive and jolly note, I’d like to share with you an award that was passed on to me. Muriel, our French Yummy Mommy in London, and also dear blogger friend of mine, nominated me for the Liebster Award (an award for blogs with less than 300 followers). (Thank you so much, Muriel! It's an honor). She herself had so many interesting things to share about her life so you should really check her out here.
1) I am a homebody, seriously. I like being at home, being alone, enjoying my solitude. Most people are actually surprised at how high my threshold is when it comes to this.
2) I’m probably one of the very few people on earth who don’t own a smart phone. I really don’t think I need it right now.
3) I LOVE cilantro with a passion.
4) I’m a very poor sleeper, so when I’m finally really asleep, don’t ever make the mistake of disturbing me if you want to live.
5) When I’m feeling inexplicably down or stressed out, I often find myself turning to Pinterest. I can always count on it to show me something that inspires, or something to criticize. Either way, I’m entertained.
6) I’m highly possessive and territorial, especially where it concerns people who are most important to me.
7) I am extremely exhausted and have been for years. My husband summed it up pretty well by saying that it seems I’m in a perpetual fight or flight state. And I guess #4 is a huge factor too.
8) Christmas is my favorite holiday. I spend the entire year waiting for it.
9) I’m still good friends with my ex (bf), even after 11 ½ years.
10) Breakfast doesn’t feel complete to me when it doesn’t include egg.
11) I’m a middle child. Feel free to attach every single stereotype you know about that.
Now here are Muriel's questions that I need to address:
1. Why did you start blogging?
I started writing ‘isolated’ entries since 2006 but by that I mean writing something like one essay a year. It was just for fun, something I just felt I wanted to try out. It was in 2009 when I began to be serious about blogging and it was really out of need more than anything else. I was feeling depressed and someone had suggested that perhaps I needed to engage in something that would not only occupy me, but also fulfill me. I turned to writing because I felt it was an expression of who I am. At the time, I needed to re-establish and strengthen my sense of identity and blogging became my savior. It still is in so many ways.
(to at least other Asian countries) when I was still single.
Marie of Scrollwork
Rachel of Lala Musings
Marie of Rock The Kasbah
TV of TV’s Take
Kenya of Here’s the thing…
Here are my 5 questions for my nominees:
1. What one piece of advice would you give to your 25-year old self if it were possible to do so now?
2. What is your favorite ice cream flavor (if you have one)?
3. What are your top 3 highlights from 2012?
4. If you could publish a book (not a first for some of you) on ANY topic, what would it be about?
5. How has the definition of 'love' evolved for you through the years?
I really hope my nominees will find time to accept this award, participate and share their insights to the rest of us! I hope I'm not giving any of you a hard time.
Happy New Year!! And as I've written on my Facebook page, my true wish for 2013 is for all of us to have healthier, more spiritual and authentic lives. I know that those are the three things I really want to work on starting this year, even if they're just baby steps. Cheers!!