Yes, you read that right. 2017 with just its first six days has been generous with its teaching moments.
1. When you see all those organizing and weight-loss articles online or all over social media offering quick solutions, keep scrolling and do something more productive...like maybe watch cat videos. There is no quick-fix to curing mess and one's messy habits, as well as your unwanted extra weight.
2. When you see Tweets from President-elect Trump and / or news of who his latest cabinet appointee is, scroll down even faster than when you scrolled to skip that latest magical weight-loss plan. You know it won't make sense and will only upset you.
3. When you post a well-loved IKEA train set on a mobile classifieds app for $5, when a brand new one can be bought for $8, and someone responds within 5 minutes of posting wanting to meet up ASAP and can't commit to a later, more convenient time, walk away and ignore. Sure, the closest IKEA by us is roughly 3.5 hours away, but something still doesn't feel right. I find it suspect that an adult can want a wooden train set that desperately.
4. When you live in the South, never, ever, ever make big plans or tough-to-reschedule appointments from late December to the end of February. The snow will ruin you and can drive you insane in one of two ways: (a) You will be trapped at home panicked because you can't venture out and can't reschedule; or (b) You will be trapped in your vehicle, slipping and sliding on the roads and on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
I planned on having some friends over but was startled to find this when I got up this morning...
Roads never get salted here and none of my friends are insane enough to say they can brave the roads just to have beer, wine and spaghetti at my house. I have no choice but to reschedule. Hopefully, all this will be gone in the next two days or I'll be stuck with eating spaghetti for the next two weeks.
5. Nothing happens by accident, including the fact that I had just recently seen Rogue One: A Star Wars Story , making me more equipped as a parent...When you're woken up by your son anxiously declaring that he just remembered that he has math homework that he hasn't done and this is two days before going back to school when he's had 2 1/2 weeks of vacation and now he's acting as if apocalypse were about to happen and you're utterly tempted to scream at him and say it was his choice to kill his brain cells with Halo and YouTube for the past 2 1/2 weeks, you take a deep breath and invoke your higher self and remember a mantra from the movie..."I am one with the Force, the Force is with me. I am one with the Force, the Force is with me. I am one with the Force, the Force is with me. I am one with the Force, the Force is with me..."
How has 2017 been so far for you?
And by the way....HAPPY NEW YEAR!!